In the 1930’s, local lore has it that a “Speakeasy” operated on the site of the present day Charley’s Ocean Grill. After Prohibition, the first legitimate business to occupy the site was a bar known as the Arrow Inn. In the 1940's the name was changed to Muldoon's and later to Cappy's Lounge. Cappy’s was owned by the Savoth family in the 1950’s and early 1960’s. It was bar and package goods business that catered to locals and fishermen. The Savoth family also owned the White Sands Beach Club located across the street in what is now Seven President’s Park. Their plan to incorporate the business into the beach club never materialized.
In 1965, Cappy’s was sold to Frank and Marguerite Gimbrone and later became known as Che Chee’s Red Barn. Che Chee was Frank’s nickname.
The Red Barn was also a bar and package goods establishment with a pool table and game room. It had a reputation as a neighborhood place catering to both young and old. In 1977, after Frank died the patrons started calling the place “Marguerita-ville” in honor of Frank’s wife (pictured at right.) In 1985, the property was sold to local restaurateurs Charles and Joanne Barondess. After a short renovation, it re-opened as a restaurant/bar called Charley’s Ocean Grill. Although Charley’s immediately became famous for its great steaks and enormous prime ribs, the menu also expanded to include a wide variety of fresh seafood dishes.
Over the years, Charley’s evolved into a more upscale restaurant with a comfortable yet intimate atmosphere and a strong local flavor. A favorite of both local and seasonal residents, Charley’s is often referred to as the “Cheers” of North Long Branch.
In May of 2005 the property was acquired by Ted Pappayliou who will continue to operate it under the name Charley's Ocean Grill. Ted is committed to preserving the character, atmosphere and acclaimed food offerings of what has become a Long Branch icon while renovating the property to better serve Charley's patrons. With the renovations complete, our many friends will enjoy handicap access, improved seating and attractive ocean views across Seven President's Park from dining rooms on two levels.